Vietnam’s "Electric Man"
Dies From Shock
September 12, 2006
HANOI - A Vietnamese man who became
famous for his ability to conduct electricity through his body has
died from electric shock, police said on Tuesday.
Nguyen Van Hung, who was also affectionately
known as “Mr. Electricity,” was killed Thursday while trying to
fix a water pump.
Hung, in his early 40's was from Dinh
Binh Village in the southern province of Ca Mau,located about 225
miles southwest of Ho Chi Minh city. Local people there dubbed him
"Hung Electric" because of his unusual ability to withstand
“He was repairing the electric pump
while in bare feet,” said Tran Van Dung, deputy director of the
police department in Ca Mau province. “He died when he got a shock
from the 220-volt current.”
Hung became known for his ability to
conduct electricity after he appeared on the "Strange Stories
of Vietman" television program last year where he endured shocks
with no apparent problem.
“He could use his body as part of the
electrical wire to light up a lamp or make an electric fan work,”
said Dung, who saw the program. Hung often used his bare hands to
fix electric cables and sometimes he would demonstrate how he could
put his two fingers in a plug without being shocked.
Hoa Thanh Tung, the producer of the
show, which featured Hung’s unique “talent,” said he was stunned
when he learned that Hung died from an electrical shock.
“On the show, he directly touches a
bare wire with a 220-volt current,” said Tung. “He also used his
tongue to lick an electric wire. He was an amazing and extraordinary
Despite his fame, Hung had recently
fallen on difficult times. His shrimp business collapsed and he
went bankrupt, owing 20,000 dollars. At the time of his death, Hung
was living in a pagoda, practicing the tenets of Buddhism.
“Many people in the commune think that
when he became a vegetarian he lost his ability to resist electrical
shocks,” said Dung, of the police department.